Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Integrity

Photobucket
This is an excerpt from a bookette entitled From My Heart to Yours that I wrote when I was still in college.

This is on the subject of integrity. I start with an excerpt from Jane Eyre.

"Jane, you understand what I want of you? Just this promise - 'I will be yours, Mr. Rochester,'"

"Mr Rochester, I will not be yours."

"Jane! Jane, do you mean to go one way in the world, and let me go another?"

"I do."

"Jane" (bending down and embracing me), "do you mean it now?"

"I do." -- extricating myself from restraint rapidly and completely.

"O Jane, this is bitter! This - this is wicked. It would not be wicked to love me."

"It would to obey you."

A wild look raised his brows -- crossed his features: he rose, but he forbore yet. I laid my hand on the back of a chair for support: I shook, I feared -- but I resolved."

"One instant, Jane. Give one glance to my horrible life when you are gone. All happiness will be torn away with you. What then is left? For a wife I have but the maniac upstairs: as well might you refer me to some corpse in yonder churchyard. What shall I do Jane? Where turn for a companion, and for some hope?"

"Do as I do: trust in God ... Believe in heaven. Hope to meet again there."

From Jane Eyre
Charolotte Bronte

From My Heart To Yours:

You may not know the story of Jane Eyre. If you do not, I would encourage you to read it. How many of us have the integrity that Jane had? She had a very unhappy life, but when she had one opportunity for happiness she chose to do what was right rather than to do what she wished.

You see, friend, sometimes when we are faced with difficult situations, the right thing is often the hardest! We must have the integrity to do what is right even in these cases. Only then can we have true joy. How far are we willing to go to follow the commands of the Lord?

Oftentimes,doing so will mean loneliness and ridicule. Are we still willing then, or just when it is easy? We have no choice as Christians. We MUST obey in all circumstances that occur in our lives. True Christian joy and peace will follow.

Proverbs 10:9 tells us:
"He who walks with integrity walks securely, But he who perverts his ways will become known."

And Galatians 6:9 says:
"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not lose heart."

4 comments:

Ella said...

I am in the process of reading Jane Eyre for english. I am very excited to read more now!

Anonymous said...

yess what a great post! thank you!

Sara said...

Bev, these are great thoughts! I am going through some of these issues right now (at my school- and actually today), so I really needed to read these. I was very comforted- thank you!

P.S. Jane Eyre is one of my favorites. :)

Terra said...

Thanks for the very powerful scene from Jane Eyre. You reminded me that is a book I would like to read again, and the Scripture quotes you share are great guides.